Tuesday, March 7, 2017

One Sleepless Night


It's 2:00 am and sleep is so far from me it may as well be a foreign country.
You would think at this hour, I'd be fighting sleep, but seems like
sleep has become my worse enemy.  So, rather than lie here in the dark
idling time, I decided to write some lines.  It's funny how most of my poems
come during the wee hours.  I used to keep pen and tablet on the ready.  Now,
I keep my phone nearby.

Tonight was one of those nights that was destined to be.  I turned on the radio
to hear a young poet speaking amplified wisdom and life.  What was he doing up
so late at night (or so early in the morning)?   Funny how God directs you to
a given place at a given time.  I held on to his every line.  Though the years
between us are many, our love of poetry said there wasn't any.  He's so blessed
to have found the keys to the poetic universe so early.  I'm glad he found a
way out of the darkness, cheated death through self-destruction and is doing
something positive with his life.  I woke up to write, but listening to this segment
on the radio has somehow made me sleepy.  On that note, I am pulling up the covers and
calling it a night.

If you want to check this young man out, his name is Matthew Cuban Hernandez