Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Women's History Month Tribute (Giving You Your Flowers)













I remember one of my Dad's favorite songs was entitled , Give Me My Flowers.
written by the late, great Rev. James Cleveland.  My dad sang this song a lot.
The memorable words are "Give me my flowers while I yet live
so that I can see the beauty that they bring."  It goes on in another verse to say,
"Speak kind words to me while I can hear them, so I can hear the beauty that they bring,"

Sometimes we don't take the time to tell people just how much
they mean to us.  When they are gone, they can't smell the
roses you never got around to giving them.  So, this Women's
History month, I am giving all women their flowers while they
can yet hear, but especially, to the Mothers, who keep watch,
love endlessly, and most of all, pray for our safety throughout
our lives.  I know for a fact, that my mothers prayers
kept our family and yet cover us, even though she is no
longer is our presence.  So, to our Guardian Angels,
I am telling you that you are loved and appreciated while
you can hear the words that so often go unsaid.

                        A MOTHER’S TEARS


No one sees a mother’s tears silently cried throughout the years.
No one knows the secrets she keeps hidden under lock and key.

God alone knows the endless hours has spent on bended knees
Praying for her family.

No one knows how many times she awakens at night
At the sound of every siren, 

Feeling her heart sink to the floor,
Silently praying until her child makes it through the door.

No one knows the disappointments that choke her heart,
As with each breath she fights to keep things from falling apart.

Everyone takes for granted she will always be strong,
So, she bares everyone’s burdens her whole life long.

Bravely she presses on,
Never complaining,
Always smiling, gentle and loving,
Working tirelessly.

 She is always there for you and me

A pillar of strength for all to see


No one knows the tears she has cried silently,
No one knows the endless hours she has spent on bended knees.
Praying for her family.

copyright Patricia Newman-Harris