Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Celebrating Black History Month (continued)



I would like to honor all of the great black musicians we have lost in recent years.  They contributed so much in their lifetime. We have loved to their music and celebrated with them on many joyous occasions throughout our lives.  They have been with us during times of great sorry and great joy. They have elevated our consciousness and taught us how to open our hearts. Through their music, they have crossed the boundaries of race and culture and helped us all to see that there are more similarities between us than there are differences.   We know they are having a big concert in the sky.

I know I am aging myself, but the first concert I went to was an Isaac Hayes concert.  I loved the music and the man.  The next one was Barry White, and of course, my favorite, Luther Vandross.  I really felt like a part of me was missing in loosing the musicians who touched me to the core.  I saw Barry White with his orchestra at the Greek Theatre.  That is a night I will always remember.  The last concert of Luther's I went to was at the Hollywood Bowl.  The one thing I can say about that night is that it seemed to go on forever.  Those were the days, and those were the greats I will never foget.

We will always remember them all:

Andre Crouch, Walter Hawkins, Joe Ligon, Daryl Coley, Michael, Prince, Whitney, Natalie, Al Jarreau, Ray, BB, Gerald Levert, Maurice White and so many many more. I cannot name them all.  They are all gone to soon.

We love and miss them.


I’ll be Seeing You


When there are no more tomorrows
Don’t worry or sorrow
I have run my race
And gone to a better
There is nothing to fear
Dry your tears.
The time has come to let me go
It will be hard I know
When things appear amiss
Picture this.
I’m standing at heaven’s door
Rejoicing like never before.
When you start to feel sad,
Picture me sitting at our savior’s feet.
Think of all the wonderful people I will meet.
When you gaze upon that shining star
I’ll be watching over you from the heavens afar.
When you start to miss me, my child
Think of me with a smile
When it seems like years since we’ve parted,
Don’t be brokenhearted
My love for you will never die.
This won’t be our last good-bye
I love you
And I will be seeing you.

Dedicated to the family who shared their loved ones with us.