Thursday, June 28, 2012

Independence Day-Remember, Celebrate, Anticipate, Hope



Surely
Copyright P. Newman-Harris


In an effort to understand the heart of man,
One day I took pen in hand
Burdened by the condition of the human heart,
I wondered if we’d ever make a brand new start.
As question after question formed in my mind,
It was clear to me we were running out of time.
With the years slipping away,
The day seemed to be further and further away.
Listening to messages of hate
Formulate and penetrate
Considering the circumstances in a diseased world,
I found myself wondering
 If there would ever be a different world
Before I close my eyes
How much longer would the innocent suffer and die?
With the light of hope burning dim,
I found myself holding onto a chance that was slim.
Surely, there was some good to be found,
Surely, one day we would place our feet on solid ground
The seemingly impossible one day will come to be.

Surely.
Surely the insanity will end.
Hate is not the burning message in the heart of men.
I know that somewhere deep inside each one of us,
There’s a desire to love and trust.
In order for my soul to find some relief,
I have to hold onto that belief.
I have to believe
The gift of peace will one day be received
In every land where there is social unrest and discord.
Surely one day man will finally be on one accord.
Surely one day, peace will be more than just a word
In every language and every tongue, the message will be heard.
We will reverse the generational curse
That grips the universe
I know the day will soon come
If  not for us, for our daughters and sons.
The wars will end.
I don’t know when.
Surely, in this one thing we shall not fail.
One day peace will prevail.