Friday, February 17, 2012

Goodbye to Whitney continued

The Dream


I miss you so much
I long to feel your touch.
I know you have finished this race,
But I still long to see your face.
I wish we had more time.
I know this is not your wish, but mine.
You see I had a dream that I talked to you on the phone.
We had a long conversation & I asked you to come back home.
You paused for a moment as I began to cry.
Then, you said,
"This place is better than I ever could have imagined or dreamed.
One day, you'll know what I mean.
I can see Grandma and Grandpa everyday.
I want to stay.
I know you miss me,
But it's time to let me go.
I will be with you always.
Think of me on warm summer days
And moonlit nights.
You're going to be alright.
Always know I love you more than words can say."
Even though I knew you had said all there was to say,
I wanted to keep you on the phone a little while longer,
Hoping that I would grow stronger.
Finally, you said, "I have to go."
I said, "I know."
We said our last good-byes
And, together, we cried.


P. Newman-Harris