Thursday, May 21, 2015

Memorial Day Tribute--Surely


















To those men and women who served
We pause to give you the respect you deserve.
You answered the call.
You gave your all.
As American citizens, we are truly blessed by your sacrifices.
From the greatest to the least we appreciate all you have done.
We honor you for every victory that was won,
and we thank you  for every brick that was laid to the foundation of peace.

I dedicate this poem to those who continue the fight.
One day, there will no longer be a need to fight.
Surely, blinded eyes will one day open,
And we will see the light.


Surely
Trying to understand the heart of man
One day I took pen in hand.
Burdened by the condition of the human heart,
I wondered if we’d ever make a brand new start.
Question after question formed in my mind.
It was clear we were running out of time.
With years slipping away,
The day seemed further and further away.
Listening to messages of hate
Formulate and penetrate,.
 Considering the circumstances in a diseased world,
I questioned whether there would be a different world
Before I closed my eyes
How much longer will the innocent suffer and die?
With the light of hope burning dim,
Was I holding onto a chance that was slim?
Surely, there was some good to be found,
Surely, we would place our feet on solid ground
I believe the impossible can come to be.
                                                                        Surely,                                       
 The insanity will end.
Hate is not the burning message in the heart of men.
Somewhere deep inside of us,
There’s a desire to love and trust.
If my soul is to find relief,
I have to hold onto that belief.
I have to believe
The gift of peace will one day be received
In every kingdom and every land where there is discord.
Surely one day man will be on one accord.
Someday, peace will be more than just a word
In every language, in every tongue, the message will be heard.
Surely one day the wars will end.
I don’t know when.
In this one thing we shall not fail.
One day peace will prevail.

Copyright 2010 by Patricia Newman-Harris
 Matters of the Heart 

t