Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Remembering Michael..We Never Can Say Goodbye

I always felt that Michael was a kindred spirit.  I didn't know him personally, but I knew his heart.  The words he penned are words that touched me and inspired some of the poems I have written.    I wrote this poem when he passed.  I've shared it before, but no matter how many years go by, I will always feel the same.   We "Never Can Say Goodbye" to someone like Michael.



Never Can Say Goodbye
© 2011 by P. Newman-Harris


June came much too soon
But any day would have been too soon
Any year
Would have brought tears,
Because it’s true,
No matter how hard we try
We never can say goodbye
To someone like you.
The world was not prepared for this.
You will truly be missed.
You stole our heart
Right from the start
Though we hate to see you go,
We know the time has come to let you go.
You have done what you were destined to do
Now your work here is through
You were the image of love on a higher plane,
I pray one day we all can be the same.
You showed love to others
Every man was your brother
Even when love was not returned,
You loved.
I hope one day this lesson we can learn.
We have differences, but we are all in the world together.
We must love one another through whatever
Showing love every day we are given
While we are yet living.
When time is no more,
We can’t walk back through the door,
We can’t take the hurt away,
We can’t say what we need to say.
We can’t correct our mistakes
Or mend the heartbreaks
Michael in the years to come,
You will continue to be our number one.
We were blessed to have you in our midst
So for this,
Your selfless display of humanity,
And for a priceless legacy in song
That will live on long after you are gone
We say a heartfelt thank you.
And bid you adieu.
June came much too soon
But any day would have been too soon,
Any year
Would have brought tears,
Because it’s true,
No matter how hard we try
We never can say goodbye
To someone like you. 

copyright P. Newman-Harris