Saturday, April 21, 2012







My Identity


Some thought I was just another brother from the hood.
The extent of my worth was seldom understood.

I constantly struggled to sustain my identity.
A free spirit is seldom allowed to fly free.

Few people tried to know me.
They were so distracted by what they could see,

They never really took the time to look inside of me.
They tried hard to keep me working below my capacity.

They never saw the battle inside.
It was something I felt I had to hide.

I wanted to show them a different side of me.
But, they were threatened by my creativity.

They wouldn’t allow me to speak my mind.
So, they proceeded to rob my spirit blind.

I wasted so much of my life just trying to be,
But no one was able to accept my identity.




In memory of Tupac Shakur
May your spirit live on through your poetry.

I thought I had lost this poem, but the lost has been found.  I'd like to share it with you.