Sunday, October 15, 2017

Women of the World...Be Encouraged

This month is Women's History month, so I celebrate and honor all of our women, from the greatest to the least, past and present.  For all that you have done, are doing and will do in the future, I say thank you.  One day soon, we will be totally appreciated and respected completely and not just for the way we look, but for who we are.


I See the Rest


Women of the world,
I see you there
Your hair,
Your dress,
Impeccable,
Yes.
I see you,
But I look beyond
Your hair,
Your dress
And see the rest.
Without a doubt,
You are beautiful inside and out,
But you want the world to see you,
In your entirety.
To look beyond your polished nails
and high heel shoes;
Not to be perceived as tough as nails,
But as someone who can compete
No matter what shoes she has on her feet.
Someone who is taken seriously by all
No matter how big or how small.
Someone who can stand firmly in position
Without being unfairly degraded by the competition.
The "phenomenal woman," that Maya described.
What a glorious tribe!
The tribe called Woman,
I see you in all your glory.
I see your beauty.
Your hair,
Your dress,
Impeccable,
Yes.
I see you,
But I look beyond
Your hair,
Your dress
And see the rest.
Would the world could see the rest. 

Copyright 2017, Patricia Newman-Harris

To the women of the world, who are not always taken seriously and are not viewed for the totality of who they are.