Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Year to all!





I don't routinely make New Years resolutions.  I do like to reflect on my last year's mistakes in an effort to do things better.  I see the New Year as our second chance.  Maybe we didn't get some things right last year, but every new day brings an opportunity to do better.  This new year is our chance, our chance growth, our chance for change, our chance to love.

Let's purpose to put a little more love in our hearts this year.  We don't have to wait for Valentine's Day.  After all, what has hating one another accomplished?  If you ask me, hate is overrated.

Hate is Overrated

If you ask me, simply stated,
Hate is overrated.
My grandma used to say,
"You can catch more bees with honey."
When I was younger, I thought that was funny,
But it's true.
It's really not anything new.
Think about it.
What has hate brought the universe?
If you ask me,
Hate cancels out unity
And brings nothing but heartbreak and misery.
Are walls torn down
Where hate abounds?
Are bridges built
Where hate has left it's filth?
No matter how far we seek,
We will never find the "White Cliffs of Dover"
Where hatred has reached it's peak.
I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before,
But like a mother who is unsure,
I'm just casting the line again
Hoping that I can get through.
That's all I can do.
I hope one day we can learn to build more
bridges than we burn.
Only then can our hearts instinctively yearn for the greater good,
And more, peace love and brotherhood.

Copyright 2015 Patricia-Newman Harris

Happy New Year!