Sunday, December 14, 2014






The Christmas Gift


As a child, I thought of foolish things.
I wanted a new doll every Christmas,
I never once thought of how much it would cost
Or whether my parents had the money at all
I never knew how difficult the task proved to be
When things magically appeared under the tree.
Somehow, they managed to fulfill most of our requests.
I remember the lighted Christmas trees,
The gifts and toys strewn underneath
I never wondered if they might not be
I never had a doubt.
My parents always worked it out.
Not to imply we had a lot
They worked hard for everything we got.
Now that I’m grown, I see things differently.
I know what is important and what is not.
I have learned to be grateful for everything.
I still enjoy the lights and festivities of the season,
But it’s not what matters most.
Most of the toys and gifts we received
Somehow got lost with time.
Some were outgrown, others given away.
In some sense, they were never really mine.
I enjoyed them for a brief period of time.
The gift we received that mattered most,
Is the precious memories we made as a family.
This is what I will always treasure
It is a gift that is beyond measure.
As a child I thought of foolish things,
But now I know the value of the gift
We received every day of the year.
It wasn’t something you put in a box with a bow
It couldn't be placed under the Christmas tree
It was a gift that will last forever
One that will be with our family always
It can never be taken away
It will never lose its sparkle or shine
It will be ours until the end of time.
That is the  never-ending gift of love

Copyright 2011 P. Newman-Harris